What is it? It is a surgical procedure which seeks to change the shape, size and general appearance of the nose. This is done in order to give it a natural look and offer a balance with the rest of the face. It also seeks to correct any anatomical alteration that impedes nasal breathing. It is possible to do rhinoplasty under local anesthesia with sedation, or general anesthesia, which is the most common method. The surgery time is between 1 and 2 hours, although in special cases it can be more. During surgery, the skin of the nose is separated from its support (bone and cartilage), to mold the desired shape. The plastic surgeon can decide between several surgical techniques according to the personal characteristics of the patient. When surgery is completed, a cast or other material splint is temporarily placed over the nose to help maintain new shape. Likewise nasal packs are placed in both nostrils to prevent bleeding and stabilize the nasal septum. Benefits of the procedure
- It reduces or increases the size of the nose.
- It changes the shape of the tip or bridge of the nose.
- It reduces or increases the opening of the nostrils.
- It changes the angle between the nose and the upper lip.
- It corrects any congenital defect or injury.
- It helps to relieve some breathing problems.